July 26, 2017

Cleaning In the Kitchen

A part of decluttering is also cleaning parts of the house that really need it - like the kitchen, bathroom and the floors.

You feel so much better when all of that is done and you look at it and wonder why you left it for so long!

Yesterday, it was a nice cool day and I had time up my sleeve to clean the kitchen blinds and the cupboard doors above the stove... and believe me when I say that this part of my kitchen was really, really horribly disgusting with grease!

I've been in this townhouse for 15 years this September, and I've cleaned the rangehood (not that it's a useful bit of kit for the kitchen - it doesn't take the smoke from cooking anywhere but the smoke detector in the living room! So I don't use it!) around 5 times. Every single time I've come away with sticky muck all over my hands, fingers and arms... oh, yeah, gross!

So, yesterday, I grabbed the ladder from the upstairs wardrobe and really seriously got into the cleaning. 

Now, I've been slowly cleaning the blinds with sanitising wipes from under the sink every few nights - one by one - and they've been getting cleaner. But, now, they were out of my reach and I needed the ladder. It took me another half and hour and 8 wipes to clean the blinds. I also fixed up the long stick which had seen better days so it doesn't break or gets stuck, with duct tape. 
Then, it was onto the cupboard doors and the top of the rangehood... yep, leave the messiest part of this till last! I couldn't get the grease off there until I used Gumption and a green scourer! But it worked well!

I hated being up the ladder - because I hate heights. 

It took me around 2 hours to get the blinds, the rangehood and the cupboard cleaned. While I was up that ladder, I also cleaned the window sill and along the top of the window frame where a lot of grease gets trapped too! 

I felt exhausted, filthy and greasy afterwards and seriously wanted a shower from it all.

But it's worth it... don't you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment