October 20, 2017

Rain

I find that when the weather turns against us, it's the best time to get in and do some serious cleaning. 

It's raining here in Queensland - and I mean it's really raining big! We're getting a few months' rain in 2 weeks; this mean big numbers on the rain gauges. But of course living in the sub-tropics, this isn't anything really. 

Over the past 7 years, I've seen some serious rain, and I've bought some great things to use when it does arrive - after all, I was brought up here in Brisbane, and we have had all kinds of weather, from huge heatwaves to sleet and almost snow to inch-thick ice on our windscreens. Yep, we've seen it all.

So, when Brisbane flooded way back in 2010-11, I went out and bought myself one of the most expensive clothes horses on the market from Howards Storage World. Believe me, I was happy I did that then and not now as the price of the thing has gone up! And what a great piece it is! I love it! I bought it for $125 (delivery included - so it was $109) and it's served me very well since then. 

However it's not just that which has helped me around the house during those dreadfully wet days. I've found that I do my best cleaning, vacuuming and decluttering when the weather is unfavourable outside. 

I know! That just sounds nutty, doesn't it? 

But it's true!

In the past few weeks, I've finally gotten my vinyl and cd collection indexed and sorted out the music I don't want in my collection too. I've also been able to just look at something and easily say: 'Nope, don't want that anymore.' Years ago, I used to hesitate in the worst possible way. Now, I've easily gone through a bag or two in half an hour and it's done! 

The rain also helps us vacuum the house better - yep, statistics are right on the button there! It's the lack of the dry weather outside which keeps the dust in our houses to a minimum... which is great if you're wanting to vacuum the house! So, the next time it's raining outside and you have the time to clean the house, get out the vacuum and run it over the carpets! Your nose will thank you later. 

Otherwise, here's your first Weekend Challenge:  Get a box and pull out everything from the drawer in your kitchen which has the toys/things you use in your cooking. Put them all in that box. Clean that drawer completely and properly, and then over the next month, only put back what you really use. Whatever's in that box by mid-November, you don't really need. Or if they are things you rarely use, put them into zip-lock bags and put them away so you can lay your hands on them at the right times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment