July 04, 2018

It's Not Just The House

Over the past month, I've been redesigning the backyard. This means I've had to move all my potted plants, repot some of them, back-fill others and move another few still to new places around the garden to make room for something new to be added to the garden.

I bought myself a brand new greenhouse. Now, it's cheap one but it's going to serve its purpose until I save up for a nice bigger one where it's made from stainless steel and has bolts and is nailed to the ground properly. But until then, this little green walk-in one will have to do; as my delicate plants are being attacked by the possums and, well, I really want my garden to look and feel different after this year.

Also, it really needed a complete clean-out... I have plants in it which weren't doing my garden any favours.

Just like a house, there are things in a garden which need cleaning out once a year or so; and it's very healthy to get in, get your hands dirty and make your garden into something you want it to be - just like your house. 

Years ago, I had a white table in my garden and it really worked its mojo in the place. But it rotted very quickly and I got rid of it after around a year of having it and it was out in the weather. The day I tossed it over the fence, it opened up the shade area in a way I never thought was possible! Then, I bought a steel 2-chair bistro table setting and it looked gorgeous and gave the garden a totally different feel. 

Anyway, I built the shade garden around that freer feeling and made my garden look and feel just lovely after that... and that was 4 years ago. 

I've been sprucing up the garden every few years, in Winter when the garden is sleeping and dormant, and it's really paid off in the Summer months when I can sit back and know it's going to jump up and grow for me! 

So, have you stepped outside your home and looked into your garden area? Are you potted plants rootbound? Do they need bigger pots? Does your little courtyard or postage stamp backyard need a complete make-over? Well, now is the time (if you're in the Southern Hemisphere) to work on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment