July 26, 2018

War On Waste - Series Two!

It's back on! The War on Waste is back on for everyone to take part in and you can see it on the ABC on Tuesday nights at 8:30pm.

I caught it by chance and loved every minute of it.

I remember the hype it got during the first series last year and totally went all out talking about it to everyone, so much so, I think all my friends and relatives got a little tired of hearing about it from me.

But I've been working on this blog and on my own personal war on waste around my house and life, making sure I recycle what I can and up-cycle as well. 

It's well worth a look into to see what you can do around your place to see what little things - which can turn out to be big things - to make your life easier and more likely change everything.

This year, I have stopped using plastic straws to see how many I used to use... and believe me I found out that in the past two months, I used to use 2 straws per day, every day! In the two months I'd normally use 2 straws a day there'd be 56 straws going to landfill! This plastic doesn't break down, and more often than not sticks around for decades. So, I have a pantry filled with straws which I have no use for - I might give them to my art school and see who grabs them first to recycle into an art installation. 

Now, the next thing which was boycotted from my home was single-use plastic bags. I collected them all together and put them into the big green recycle bin outside my local Coles Supermarket. 
I now only use the reusable shopping bags and my folding bags... they are now housed in my bag-holder in the kitchen, which is great! The best thing is that just as I boycotted those single-use bags from my Coles, they stopped using those very bags themselves! What a great place, right? 

Anyway, these are the two big - or little - plastics which are now vetoed from my house. I no longer use them and don't want them in my house. The straws are going to be dealt with next Monday - and I'll have more space in my pantry - and I'll be looking out for paper straws to stock so they break down.

So, do tell, what is your war on waste you're going into battle with? Have you boycotted something in your house and stuck with it? These aren't the only things which have been boycotted from my house - chemical cleaners, like bleach cleaners, is another - is another I'm working on getting rid of from my life and house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment