August 24, 2018

Weekend Challenge Time!

Okay, it's been a while since I posted one of these; and I thought it's time I did.

Since 'The War on Waste' series began, they've been talking about single-use plastic bags and how dreadful they are for the environment.

This post is for those bags and the end of them in our houses. What I want you to do is pull out all of those bags from every nook and cranny of your home, put them into a large reusable bag and take them to your nearest recycling centre or Coles (it's a grocery store here in Australia) and put them into the recycling bin outside them. 

Now, before you think that there's no bags to use, at Coles and other places around, there'll be reusable bags on sale. I've been collecting these styles of bags for years - before the outlawing of them came through in the past year. I took my own bags shopping and people used to laugh at me at the checkouts. Now, the same people are wondering why they didn't think of it sooner. 

I have found that the Coles red and white shopping bags may be made from 80% of recycled material, but they are not good for the environment - so if you're in Australia and you are offered one of these bags, say no! Please try to take your own or buy a hessian one from the place. 

Okay... this is the challenge for the weekend. You'll be surprised how many plastic bags you'll find in your house. 

Also, throughout the week, you'll be getting some out of your fridge too - you know when you finish up with your veggies in the crisper. Now, what you do is, air them out until they're dried out, and put them in with the other single-use plastic bags. You can take them to the recycling bin as well, along with bread bags too. I'm doing my very best to recycle as much as I can these day. And this is one way to do this. 

In the next week, why don't you all let me know approximately how many bags you found and are recycling and where you found them... it'll be a good exercise to keep an eye on how much plastic we're using too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment