August 30, 2017

Making Housework Easier

When I first started decluttering my house, I thought I wasn't going to get anywhere! It was one step forwards, two steps back... and I felt as though I was always waiting for my Mum to drop by to help me get rid of things - because I didn't have a car at the time.

But once I had the use of a car, I was letting go of things left and right! The house started to go from feeling as though things were on top of me, to me finding more and more room where I needed it.

Then, in the past six months, I've brought the house right back to exactly what I want and need here and it's all just the necessities... all the beneficial things that are used every day... all the things that have place to live, have somewhere to be. And this is great!

All this decluttering has made cleaning my house so much easier. From getting rid of the lounge to cleaning out my wardrobe to cleaning out the laundry and making it easier to clean my bathroom, I've made huge steps in getting my house working like a well-oiled machine in every way possible.

This week, I tripped over my clothes hamper - breaking it beyond repair - and I hurt myself as I fell. But, yesterday morning, I tossed out the old hamper and went out and bought myself a new hamper. There was no hesitation. There was no 'maybe if I hang onto it and see if I can fix it'... I knew it wasn't going to be fixed by anyone; and there was no point in fixing it. So, out in the recycling bin it went. I don't feel bad about this; and really I shouldn't. 

This is what decluttering is all about.

You clean out your place. 

You don't feel bad about donating - or throwing out - your things, and your house looks cleaner, is easier to tidy up, and feels more like a place you love to come home to. And when you move house, you don't take crap with you... you take what you want with you and that's it. 

This is why I'm decluttering; so when I do move out of my townhouse, into a bigger house where I can spread out a little more, I don't need to clutter it up again. All the things are there to make my house into a home; and that's it. There's no junk, no bags of things for me to go through. What I have is what is coming into the home... I may have to tweak it from time to time, but there'll be nothing else to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment