September 05, 2017

More New Habits

In February, I wrote a post 'Developing New Habits' and said I'd come back to you and tell you about how I'm doing with these new habits.

Well, I'm going well. 

But it starts with baby steps. 

My new habits start before I even go to bed. I wash up everything from the day and put it on the drainer, wipe down the counters, the sink, and the kitchen table and then put away all the remote controls, turn off the television at the wall, throw out the tea from the teapot. Then, I put out the rubbish in the outside bin, put in a new bin liner, lock the doors, check that my alarm is on on my phone. 
I put away anything I have been using that night too. If I used a footstool and a rug, I put the footstool away and fold the rug and put it on top of it. Then, I straighten up the rest of the living room and the kitchen table. Anything on the kitchen table from dinner (salt'n'pepper, sauces, a spare fork or knife?), I put them away or wash them up (nope, I haven't emptied the sink yet). Once it's all done, I get in and make sure the cloth is spread out on the sink so it dries and the kitchen towel is over the items in the drainer.

When I go upstairs, I find that my bed was made during the day. Before the end of the day - before the sun goes down - I have to make my bed. I don't mean just pull the covers up and throw everything on there and pray it looks okay. I mean, pull the sheets back, the pillows off and make the bed complete. Then, when I go to bed, it feels fresh and lovely and I can go to sleep happy. It makes you feel great when you shuffle into your bedroom and you find a lovely, nicely-made bed greeting you; instead of something that resembles a teenager's bedroom - all messed up and turned over.

I've gotten into planning my meals as well. It doesn't take much; and it's saving me around $30 a week on my budget. I've been writing down only what I need to get on my shopping list and sticking to it. If I don't need to go anywhere, I just don't drive the car - the amount of petrol I've been saving is amazing when I've been walking places which are local too. Like the post office and to get the paper. 

More recently, I've had a Radio Silence Day. This was on 31st August and it was because this is the day Lady Diana passed. I was over in the UK when it happened and it really struck a nerve with me - and still does. So, what I've been doing over the past 10 years is having a Radio Silence Day on the day... but still it wouldn't hurt to have more of them throughout the year on particular dates. You see, on this day, I got so much decluttering done!
I did all my laundry, decluttered my vinyl collection, washed the kitchen floor, mowed the lawn, put away all the wiping up (which caused me to clean the entire sink with Gumption - and it's now nice and sparkling clean) and then I sorted out the price tags for a Pop-up Store I'm taking part in at a local gallery. Then, I ended the day with a great set of vinyls being played while I did some needlepoint and had a nice cool drink... now, that was a great and useful day. 

Yep, a Radio Silence Day is a good idea. I will need another one soon to clean out the office and my wardrobe, as we come into Summer here in Australia. Well, what have you achieved over this time? Have you developed any new habits, which have turned into good habits over time? Do share with us all what they are and how they've helped you in your place and in your life of decluttering.


No comments:

Post a Comment