January 29, 2017

Decluttering Isn't Easy

I might make decluttering sound like it's a pinch of dirt... but really, I do struggle with decluttering the smallest things.

The amount of times I've gone into my wardrobe hellbent on getting rid of certain items, only to return them back to the coat hanger and close the door again, I've simply lost count! It's the same with my books. I have to be in the right state of mind to do that - believe me - because I adore the written word more than anything. And for me to get rid of any on a whim would just be horrible. I really have to have the right thoughts going through my mind of which genres I'm going to get rid of; not just toss out books higglety-pigglety. 

So, when I'm writing about something I've decluttered, a lot of the time, you've gotta remember I might write another post in a few year's time on it again where I'm tackling that very same room or part of the house because it's gotten cluttered again.

This is simply because decluttering your home isn't an easy task. It's a very personal journey through your life and your mind. You do it with your things - and sometimes your family's things who have passed away - and you have to make up your mind whether or not you need them in your house.

Believe me when I say that I had a few false starts before I really got in and just worked on a tiny part of my house - and it started out with a junk drawer in my living room. It made me feel so much better that I just continued on from there.

So, take your time. 

It's your journey, not mine. These posts aren't homework... they're suggestions. So if you'd like me to write about how to go about decluttering something, ask in the comments below and I'll write a post about it. 

Otherwise, keep us all posted about your journey as well. As Human Beings, our lives aren't meant to be organised; they're meant to be comfortable. Don't throw out things you want in your life just because other people don't want you to have them. And most of all, don't compare yourself - or your home - to others. It just won't help you in your journey through your stuff (I'm not going to call it junk unless you do). 

Take care. 

Keep what you really want.

And make you home your castle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment