March 05, 2017

Shredders: Are They Worth It?

In the post below, I mentioned shredding old bank statements and other things that can clutter up your house. 

Now, it's good to shred things - or get a company to come and do that. However, doing this can be pricy; and this is something I'm trying to keep to a minimum.

Shredders at office stores can cost from under $100 to well in the $2,000 mark; it kind of depends what you're looking for. If you're running a small business, you'll be looking for a good quality shredder which will be well worth your money - and spending over $1,000 - $2,000 on a good-sized shredding machine will be something you'd be looking into.

However, what we're looking at here for around the home is something that will be nice, compact and still kick butt with shredding your unwanted paper goods; and you don't want to pay the Earth for it. 

So, this afternoon, I went to OfficeWorks and found a huge range of shredders sitting on the shelves. They ranged between $84 and $2,150 and up to $3,000. I was looking at the lower end of the price range and happily took some photos of the under $100 ones and came home. 
But when I got talking to my folks (who have a 'Fellowes' shredder), they told me to not bother buying one unless I'm prepared to fork out over $300 - $400! This is ridiculous! I should be able to own a good shredder and still not have to break the bank to do it! 

Now, I did own one once a few years ago. My folks bought it for me for my birthday and it went very well. I was happily shredding things I didn't need, until one afternoon a piece of plastic envelope was caught between two pieces of paper - without my knowledge - and it burnt out the engine! The shredder was out of warrenty and they company told me it would be better if I bought a new shredder... since then, I've been bagging up my shredding papers to take to my folks' place. But now, I just want to save up and buy a new shredder. 

Kind of stupid isn't it? It's not worth having a shredder unless you're going to pay a lot of money... and yet, it's something you need to protect yourself from identity theft. The biggest catch-22 we'll face in our lives... and something we don't want our family to have to rummage through as we get older. 

No comments:

Post a Comment