May 19, 2017

Donation Day

Today, I was out and about doing a huge amount of things in the dreary weather around Logan City. I had 2 doctors to see, 2 banks to visit, the transport department to go to and a few other things as well as trying to fit in eating lunch and dropping off a hat rack at my parents' house for my Aunty Helen.

I also needed to drop off a huge lot of donations to Vinnies at Underwood and had a very quick look around while I was there.

They often get deceased estate things there - which is very cool - and I love looking at the haul they get because they also get 45s and vinyls there at a hugely discounted price. And today I found 13 of those lovely 45s sitting in a basket waiting for me. But before I found them, I was chatting to another customer about op-shops and she and I had the same passion. I told her where the Supa-Stores were and she mentioned some other op-shops I hadn't heard of.
One of the volunteers came up and snapped at us to 'spend more money, come on, buy something to put money in our til or get out!' Well, the lady I had been talking to took off out of there muttering something, but I stayed, glaring at the volunteer.  My glare must have been awful because the volunteer didn't say anything to me again about money. 

I walked around and found a pile of 45s and took them to the counter where the same rude volunteer counted them up and I paid for them. She was nice about it all, but this was after I had had a word with her supervisor and she was told off for saying what she did.

Just because people are volunteers doesn't mean they are allowed to be rude to customers. I have been a volunteer for just shy of 20 years at a regional art gallery and yet, I know how to treat people, no matter how rude they are to me. But in this instance, I wasn't rude to anyone. Have you had something like this happen to you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment