February 21, 2018

Tools And Things

It's not just the linen press which needs a good clean out or the kitchen and pantry; you men of the family have clutter too - yes, I'm looking at you guys staring at the television pretending to not notice me.

You guys have your own style and type of clutter in the way of tools and handy-man gear; and trust me, it does pile up over time.

My Dad has been known to gather 3 lawnmowers over his life and just as many drills. His answer to why he has so many was: 'It's just in case one breaks.' I know that feeling, but really, I've found that it works out to have just one of each item, then when it breaks you can go out and buy it again and it'll be so much better and more up-to-date.

A lot of men don't like change, though, and that's normal. So, you have to kinda ease them into decluttering their mess of a tool shed - unless they've gone and been the best man on planet Earth and kept their Man Cave nice and organised all on their own! And believe me, that's a rare animal right there! 

This Sunday just gone, I got an SOS from a friend who was feeling very inundated by her husband's house hold tools. So, I zoomed over to her house and found he had stored them in the linen press as well as the tool shed... this guy had tools everywhere and had lost track of where his tools were, leading in multiple amounts of them. 
This can be a problem for many husbands and with a little bit of organising, those tools aren't only sorted out, but the hubby in question found we had stored his most-used tools in a big plastic box where he could lay his hands on them immediately. He was impressed at how I worked through the tiny screws, bolts and rivets he had laying around and sorted them into a useable lot of items in a container so he wasn't going out buying new lots every time. 

His wife was the one who arranged the whole thing and I was just following orders when it came to this; as it wasn't my home. But once her husband got the idea of figuring out this was to make life easier for him, he sat with us and just said yes and no at what we asked. I didn't have to ask him much - seeing I'd grown up in a house where my Dad often showed me how to work with tools and showed me how to store tools as well. 

I seriously thought this was going to backfire; but it didn't. You see, I don't have that many tools here at my place. And they all fit into a tool chest in my house. The gardening tools fit into my shed outside, and are kept under lock and key. But really, if it doesn't work in my place, it gets tossed out.

However, I've found men just keep broken and worn out things in case they can get it fixed. But really, it's not like that. If it breaks, throw it out; and make the room for what's more important in your life. 

Well, my friend and I not only got her husband's tools all worked out, but she gained a linen press, organised his home office and figured out where to put some lovely, religious prints that meant something to him around the house.  This was great for them both. Have you helped one of your friends lately? Do share how your help worked out in your friend's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment