February 23, 2018

Wardrobe Toss-Out

As much as I love to op-shop for my clothes, there's always a point where I have to go through my wardrobe and make a choice of which clothes to keep, and which ones to donate or throw out.

And yesterday was that day.

I invited a wonderful friend over to help me out with this very thing - as she's one of those people who does this all the time - and we were brutal with my wardrobe.

The first thing we did was pulled out all the blouses I wore last Winter and laid them on the bed.... then looked at what was left and had a good look at them. I asked myself the hard question: did I wear these - will I ever wear these? And the answer was: no. So we pulled them off the hangers, folded them up and put them into a pile. 

We did the same thing to the Summer clothes and my rare t-shirts - some of which have great stories to them - and Tutasi was great with it all. She's amazed at how many t-shirts I had which needed to be hung up because the transfers would crack and break if I folded them. I amazed myself at how much history was in t-shirts and how much I really liked my 'Doors' t-shirt too. 

The thing with your historical shirts and great things you love and have stories that go with them, you have to know that they do mean something to you; and this is why you don't get rid of them. This is the reason why I don't get rid of mine.

The only things I added to the donation box were the items which didn't fit me anymore - which didn't button up, cut under my arms or I just didn't wear in the past 12 months. These are the things you have to seriously look at and know you're no longer wanting - it's not the concert t-shirts, your first 'Door's or 'Van Halen' t-shirt, nope, it's the clothes you've physically outgrown and know you won't wear anymore. 

And believe it or not, this is one of the hardest things to come to terms with in decluttering - knowing you're getting older and parts of your body aren't the same size as they were when you were younger. For me it's my arms, legs and upper torso... and yes, it does bother me, but I've come to find that if I care for myself, I'll wear clothes I really like and flatter me. This is something you have to remember when you declutter your wardrobe - all the new things you can replace your old clothes with.

But a lot of the times, I don't replace, not unless I really need to. 

Now, I have a nice pile of clothes for the donation box and another nice pile of clothes goodies for my niece (if she wants them - if not, well, she's welcome to give them away to a charity of her choice). Anyway, how do you clean out your wardrobe? Does it always work out for you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment