February 14, 2017

Books

I love books - as I've said before - and I find parting with them is just plain awful! But when I really get in and look at my collection of 2,000+ books in my tiny home office, I do find that I might have doubled-up on some and collected others that I will never, ever read.

This is when it's time to do out the collection. 

I started off with Mt To Be Read next to the door. I found that pile so high it was looking like it was about to take a tumble if I put anymore books onto those piles!

So, I pulled down all the ornaments on the shelves first and then organised the books into categories and figured out what I'd like to read, what I'd donate and what I'll put away for another time.
You see, I have some great books to read, but I can't read them all in one year - or even two! - and so putting some to one side for a little while causes me to read the ones I've put up on the Mt TBR and make myself read those first. Then, I'll move onto the other ones that have been put away.

I know, it makes sense doesn't it?

Anyway, I ended up going through another pile of other books which contained a whole lot of books I thought I was going to read, but haven't gotten around to them. So, I bagged them up as well! 

I ended up getting around 50 books into two bags and finding that I really didn't need so many books to start with. Okay, I've got under 2,000 books now, but really, it's good to declutter the books I just won't read.... like all those vampire romance novels I've had for 3 years. If I'm not going to read them within the first 2 years, I'm simply not going to read them now, right? I also sorted through another 20 or so Bookcrossing books that I have to Wild Release around Brisbane and Logan City (Wild Releasing is where you leave a book for somebody to pick up and read. Then, they journal it and do the same; and the book begins to travel around the world. It's a great way to share a book). 

So, if you've got a big book collection, how have you stablised it? Or has it gotten bigger - as mine tends to do? And speaking of book collections getting bigger: Mum did give me about 20 books to add to my collection. I mean, how could I say no? Yes, silly me, I'm trying to get my clutter down; and I end up adding to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment