February 11, 2017

Tackling My Home Office

Yesterday, I jumped off the computer, went to the kitchen and grabbed another bottle of cold water (after refilling the empty bottle from the water urn and replacing it) and came back upstairs into the cool air-conditioning.

I looked around this home office and realised I really needed to tackle this place ... and do it now! So, I did. 

I emptied out 4 bags of rubbish, receipts and things, sorted them into their respective piles and threw out what needed to be thrown out, what I needed to keep and what was to be looked at later; then I moved onto the next bag.

Then, I put away what I had to put away before I moved on. But seeing I had mess everywhere I found this hard to do. I still have a few Christmas decorations around and stuff I haven't put away from other times - like birthday cards. I also found some letters from friends and get well cards from 2015 and last year (when I was really sick).

So, I changed the jobs in the room. I looked at my Mt TBR and pulled down all the decorations from the shelves first, and put them somewhere so they didn't get broken. 
Then, I pulled all the books off the Mt TBR pile next to the door and put them into categories and figured out what I wanted to read and what needed to be put back on the big shelves, and what I really wouldn't be reading at all - aka: what I'll be giving away.

This turned out to be easier than I thought.

You see, books are my passion. I love the written word, and I find that I get really possessive and obsessive with it. Sometimes, I'll become so clingy with books, that my emotions will take over; and like I said in a previous post, I have to be in the right state of mind to get rid of books. 

Yesterday was that right state of mind. I pulled out my folding ladder/chair and pulled down almost all the books off my saggy brown bookcase (from Officeworks - it sagged when I put the first book on it - not my fault, it was how it was made) and sorted through about 50 books and then there were an additional 20 Bookcrossing books I'll have to Wild Release. 

This all took about 4 hours to get done. 

I still have a lot to do here; as this is just the very tip of the iceberg in here. There are still books to look through, papers to sort through, things to put away. But, I've started and that's the main thing. I'm so pleased with myself. So, have you started on a big clean-out and gotten further than you thought? Let us in on it in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. My desk is the absolute worst part of my house for clutter. I have always been clerically minded. Filing, record keeping, document management all come as easily to me as breathing. But one day last year I just stopped. I simply stopped dealing with bills and post and papers as they came in, and I piled them first on my desk, then onto open drawers, then into boxes on the bedroom couch. I tell myself I will start sorting and get it done in no time - but I don't start. I'll do anything, even washing up to avoid dealing with this mess. You have inspired me, tho. I have to start. I really have to. And I will. I will set myself the deadline of Monday - even if the heat has not broken as predicted - I will get into it and get it done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! You're my first comment! :D

      Woohoo!

      I know what you mean with putting it off. I have often done that with my clutter, but moving it from one place to another then sighing and moving it back.

      When I came home this year, I looked around and hear that Italian woman's voice on the Pro Hart advert: 'Oh, Mr Hart...what a mess!' and proceeded to Peter's Walsh's facebook page and started in on the 31-day challenge the biggest way.

      I'm so glad I've inspired you, Letitia. :D

      Delete