February 03, 2017

Cleaning Tables

Tables shouldn't be difficult surfaces to tidy; but they tend to be. It's because they're flat and are the biggest amount of space you have in the home besides the kitchen counter.

You put all kinds of things on them, from the morning paper to your dinner plate, to your handbag (and if you do, please don't! You wouldn't believe how many flu and stomach bugs are attached to the bottom of your bag!) You also dump your phone, your house keys, toys, jackets and gloves on them as well. However, you have to realise they are also the greatest place to leave things on a more permanent basis.

I am very guilty of putting envelopes down on them and not throwing away what isn't needed in the bin. So, today, I did a big clean-up of what I didn't need need around the tables in my living area - this meant my dinner table and the coffee table in the living room. 
The dinner table needed to be completely cleaned off, polished up (as it's a proper polished wooden table) and then everything I want on that table put back on... anything that doesn't belong on it, I went through, and tossed out or put away.

The same thing went for the coffee table. But with this, I had to clean it first; as I often do the disgusting thing and put my feet up on it (yeah, I know we're all guilty of that at some point in our homes). The amount of dirt that came off that table was amazing! I then polished up the stones I use as coasters and the silverware I use for the teapot and put back only 4 or 5 things. I threw away a bag of rubbish and sorted through other things I wanted to keep and put away a lot of other things into a tool box I have.

This morning, I got in an vacuumed the living room and had to stop because it got too hot. But this afternoon, I vacuumed the stairs and my bedroom (again) and even more dirt was pulled out of the carpet than ever before! Now, the only room that hasn't been tidied is my home office... it's not that I can't do this, it's just that I haven't gotten around to it. I'll get to it soon. I still have bags of stuff downstairs to work through as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment